One-hour concerts at 6.30pm
Sometimes a full concert isn't for you. You might have other plans that evening, or you might only want to experience a concentrated burst of music before heading home.
That's why we've created Half Six Fix, to give you the option of a new way to try the LSO.
These concerts start at 6.30pm and last for one hour, without an interval. The programme will feature one or two major works, which the conductor will introduce from the stage. And to bring you closer to the action, we'll have screens to showcase the performers and programme notes available on our Android or iPhone device. You can also enjoy the music with a drink.
> 28 Mar 2018
Strauss Also sprach Zarathustra
Stravinsky, Golijov, Bernstein
Sibelius Symphony No 7
Shostakovich & Strauss
Programme note app FAQs
At these concerts we will be offering a new experience – information and insight about the music delivered in real time to your smartphone via the EnCue app.
Here's how to get involved:
On the concert day
1. Make sure your phone is fully charged before leaving for the Barbican
2. Connect to our dedicated WiFi network 'LSO Half Six Fix'
3. Set your phone to silent. We also recommend turning off auto screen lock and disabling push notifications
4. Open the EnCue app
5. You can sign in with Facebook or your email if you want to create an account. This lets you save slides to view later, or share them to Facebook. If you’d rather not create an account, select 'Skip'
6. Select London from the list of available cities
7. Tap 'Download Performance' then 'View Performance'. The notes will start and advance automatically during the performance – you can swipe left or right to browse content on your own, and re-sync with the performance at any time by tapping the EnCue icon in the lower left portion of the screen. You will know you are in sync when the icon is completely blue.
There is a user guide contained in the app which can be accessed by tapping the (?) icon in the top right of the screen.
What is EnCue?
EnCue is a mobile app that enhances audience engagement during live performing arts events. The app delivers media to viewers in real time, creating a unique opportunity for viewers to receive helpful information at the exact moment you need it during live events.
Do I need an internet connection?EnCue requires a connection to the internet during performances via WiFi. Connect to our dedicated network called 'LSO Half Six Fix' (no password).
Does it use a lot of data?EnCue performance media requires very little data usage, with total downloads averaging between 1 and 5 megabytes per piece performed. For perspective, most data plans are measured in gigabytes (1 gb = 1000 mb)
Is EnCue distracting during performances?Through testing over the past six years, EnCue has developed Custom Dark Screen Technology™ and Glance-Optimized Media™ that reduces the glare from your screen. As a result, both users and non-users comfortably use EnCue without distraction.
Will EnCue work on my phone?Users must have a smartphone with internet connectivity in order to use EnCue. Currently, EnCue supports both iOS6 and above and Android devices running OS version 4.4 (KitKat).
Apple users: if you have previously downloaded the app, you should download the latest version from the App Store. This will fix a previous bug in the iOS11 operating system that was causing the app to freeze.
Things you should doDisable:
Auto screen lock (security setting)
Screen saver/sleep mode (display setting)
Volume/ringers (audio settings)
Text and app alerts (audio settings)
Power all mobile devices before attending an EnCue-enabled live event.
Got further questions? Read more FAQs on this blog.