A free open-air concert in the heart of London
Sunday 1 July 2018 5pm
Trafalgar Square, London
DVOŘÁK Slavonic Dances
TCHAIKOVSKY 'Pas de deux' from The Nutcracker
MASSENET Dances from Le Cid
KATE WHITLEY Sky Dances (world premiere) *
STRAVINSKY Selections from The Firebird
Sir Simon Rattle conductor
Paul Rissmann presenter
London Symphony Orchestra
Young musicians from LSO On Track *
Musicians from the Guildhall School of Music & Drama *
FREE: no ticket required
Early arrival essential. No glass or furniture in the Square.
Trafalgar Square will be transformed into a giant free music stage for Sir Simon Rattle and the London Symphony Orchestra to present BMW Classics on Sunday 1 July 2018.
Simon Rattle will take to the stage to conduct 100 musicians from the London Symphony Orchestra, alongside 50 young musicians from the LSO On Track programme in East London and musicians from the Guildhall School of Music & Drama.
The programme will feature music on a theme of dance and ballet by Dvořák, Massenet, Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky and includes a world premiere by Kate Whitley, founder of Peckham's Multi-Story Orchestra.
This year's performance is part of an exciting new festival promoted by the Mayor of London – Sounds Like London – with a focus on women in music.
This free summer concert brings access to world-class music to everyone in one of the world’s most iconic public spaces. With an audience in the square of up to 10,000 people, the concert will also be live streamed for the first time exclusively on YouTube, making the concert accessible to music fans worldwide.
Pictures from 2017
- The stage The stage
- 7000 in the audience 7000 in the audience
- LSO violinist Matthew Gardner LSO violinist Matthew Gardner
- From the back of Trafalgar Square From the back of Trafalgar Square
- LSO On Track violinists LSO On Track violinists
- Presenter Lucy Griffiths Presenter Lucy Griffiths
- Ian Robertson, BMW Ian Robertson, BMW
- Pianist Behzod Abduraimov Pianist Behzod Abduraimov
- Looking out to the audience Looking out to the audience
- The stage The stage
- Double basses Double basses
- Big screens Big screens
- Backstage Backstage
- From the stage From the stage
- LSO On Track musicians prepare backstage LSO On Track musicians prepare backstage