LSO Jerwood Composer+ is a new programme that supports early career composers in programming, planning and delivering chamber-scale concerts in the Jerwood Hall at LSO St Luke’s, including work of their own developed through the programme.
Two composers are accepted onto the LSO Jerwood Composer+ programme each year for a 16-month placement with the LSO. The composers are given the opportunity to programme, plan and deliver two concerts at the Jerwood Hall at LSO St Luke’s, enabling them to showcase new music by both themselves and other composers whilst gaining entrepreneurial skills through mentoring from key LSO staff. These concerts make a substantial contribution to the diversity of the music programme for audiences at LSO St Luke’s.
The programme provides:
- the opportunity to plan and deliver showcase concerts at LSO St Luke’s, giving participating composers creative freedom to explore classical and/or cross-genre collaborations and unconventional concert formats and timings to appeal to target audiences
- support in developing showcase concerts through a bespoke programme of mentoring from key LSO staff, to build skills and experience in programming, event planning, budgeting, marketing, fundraising and evaluation
- access to LSO composition workshops and masterclasses with established composers and LSO musicians
- access to the facilities at LSO St Luke’s
- mentoring from an established external music sector professional, such as a composition teacher, festival promoter, or media specialist
- A £4,000 bursary and reasonable travel expenses for those living outside of London
- A total fixed budget per composer of £10,000 for both events, managed by the LSO
Applications open in June 2019
Subscribe below to hear about LSO composing-related news including opportunities to apply for the our composer schemes, invitations to scheme events and showcases, as well as new music ticket offers straight to your inbox.
You will receive occasional emails with details of London Symphony Orchestra composer scheme news, events and offers. Your data will only be used to send you this and any other LSO e-newsletter to which you have subscribed.
Amir Konjani and Daniel Kidane have been selected to take part in the second season of LSO Jerwood Composer+. Read more about their appointment and biographies in this news story.
Amir and Daniel will present their first events in Spring 2019.
Emma-Jean Thackray and Jasmin Kent Rodgman have been selected to take part in the first season of this programme. Read more about their appointment and biographies in this news story.
Emma-Jean and Jasmin worked on their events throughout Spring 2018 and presented the results at LSO St Luke's in March and April. See right for more details on their concerts. They will present their second and final concerts on Saturday 6 October and Saturday 24 November 2018.
LSO Jerwood Composer+ is generously supported by Jerwood Charitable Foundation.