- All participants must be under the age of 35 on the first date of the Competition (i.e. 15 November 2016)
- All participants must be citizens of the 28 countries having full membership of the European Union (list of EU countries on the EU website).
- After the application deadline the selection panel will shortlist 20 candidates in early June 2016, who will be informed of the results in July 2016. The selected participants will be invited to take part in the competition in London.
- Rounds 1 and 2 will take place at the Guildhall School of Music & Drama with the Guildhall School Symphony Orchestra; the final round will take place at the Barbican with the London Symphony Orchestra.
- Participants are asked to prepare all repertoire. For Rounds 1 and 2 they will be told their repertoire immediately before taking the stage. The three finalists’ repertoire and running order is drawn by lot at the end of Round 2.
- If you have applied before and not been successful you may only apply two more times, assuming you are still within the age limits.
- You must scan and upload an image of your passport's information page for verification purposes.
- Please prepare a video of yourself conducting. The video must be no shorter than 15 minutes and should contain at least three contrasted pieces which include the beginning and end of works. Candidates should be visible from an orchestral musician's point of view.
- The video should be uploaded to YouTube. Please ensure that your video is set as Public or Unlisted.
- You will need to submit a short biography, which should include your recent place(s) of study and/or the name of your teacher(s) as well as a concise list of recent and forthcoming engagements.
- Entry costs £50, payable using either a Paypal account or credit card. You will be taken to the payment page once you have submitted your application form. Please note that we will not be able to process your application until payment has been received.
The repertoire for the 2016 competition will be available when entry opens in December.
(Approx. 15 minutes for each of the 20 candidates)
(Approx. 30 minutes for each of the 10 candidates)
(drawn by lot at the end of Round 2; rehearsed am & pm with LSO on day 3, final performance 7pm)